Thousands of people are diagnosed with cancer in our region every year and it can leave us feeling powerless. But there is something you can do to help cancer patients and survivors locally.
Back for its fifth year, the Wilmot Warrior Walk takes place Sunday, Sept. 10 and aims to celebrate cancer survivorship while raising funds for cancer research at Wilmot Cancer Institute and Wilmot’s Judy DiMarzo Cancer Survivorship Program. Happening at the Highland Park Bowl, the event features a certified 10K, 5K and 1-mile walk through Rochester. Routes take participants toward downtown Rochester and through scenic areas along the Genesee River.
We’re planning plenty of other fun, too! In addition to your run or walk, we hope you’ll spend time with us to enjoy food trucks, the survivorship tent, bounce houses, live music, and more. Details on attractions will be available as the event gets closer, but in the meantime, here are some exciting changes we have in store for 2017:
- Improved parking! We heard participants’ feedback from last year and we’re working to make parking easier for our guests. Stay tuned for details.
- An improved course and race timing. We acknowledge last year’s 5K route had some issues and we have made this route more concise to avoid confusion this year.
- Cancer survivor recognition. We believe all cancer survivors deserve to be acknowledged for their courage and we’ll be doing that at this year’s event.
Registration is open now! There’s no better time to start your team and begin fundraising. Together, we can make a difference in the fight against cancer.
We’re also excited to share we have a number of events planned leading up to the Warrior Walk this year. Learn more about each of them on the supporting events page. Save the date for:
- Batavia Survivors Night on Friday, July 28
- Survivors Night at Frontier Field on Friday, Aug. 11
- Wilmot Warrior Days at URMC on June 2, July 7 and Aug. 4
- Wear Jeans for Wilmot is available for companies outside URMC to host a jeans day that supports the Wilmot Warrior Walk. Choose your own day!